Make your order

Did you know that...?

On the night of the conquest of Seville from the Almohads in 1248, King Ferdinand III of Castile spent the night in the inn that was in this place next to the Almohad gate "Bab Yahwar", and here he installed his royal stables, which is why it is known as the "House of a Night", in homage to which the building has a large 18th century tile on its façade representing the "saintly" king.

1248. On 22 December, the Almohad King of Seville Axataf handed over the keys of the city to the Castilian King Ferdinand III.

The Roman city wall passed just a few metres from the façade with the Caños de Carmona aqueduct, until it was demolished in 1860. The aqueduct supplied Seville with drinking water until the middle of the 19th century, the remains of which can still be seen in the adjacent Plaza de Refinadores towards the Reales Alcázares, where it ended. As the "House of a Night", King Ferdinand III "the Saint" granted this house in the mid-14th century the privilege of having a free water supply, a benefit that lasted for six centuries without interruption until the mid-20th century, when the Seville City Council withdrew this privilege.

This place was the access to the great Jewish cemetery of Seville, and witnessed the terrible pogrom against the Jews in 1399, in which the Christians, stirred up by the Dean of Ecija, razed the neighbourhood to the ground, murdering most of its inhabitants and seizing their goods and homes, this being the first holocaust of Jews in Europe. In the adjoining car park, several of the tombs of the great Jewish cemetery can be seen as museum exhibits.

1834. View of the Puerta de la Carne drawn by the English romantic traveller Richard Ford. Behind the doorway you can see the Buenavista Palace.

The "Puerta la Carne" (Doorway of the meat) is so called because it was the access to the Carnicerías Reales, or "Perneo", the large slaughterhouse, which was located outside the city walls on the site where the headquarters of the Seville Provincial Council are today. It was through this door that meat was brought into the city after payment of the corresponding taxes or portages.

Under the liberal government in 1864 the city council ordered the demolition of almost the entire city wall and its gates to allow the modernisation of traffic and access, but despite the demolition of the great gate, the place retained its name to this day.

The only surviving photograph of the Puerta de la Carne before it was demolished in 1864. The upper part of the Buenavista Palace can be seen behind the battlements.

In 1874 this was the place where the great barricade of resistance of the "Cantón de Sevilla" was set up against the troops of General Pavía. Tradition tells us that during the bombardment and heavy siege, the women of the Puerta de la Carne invented the "soldaditos de pavía", the well-known codfish poultry, to feed the resistant cantonalist militiamen while they fought, who fell dead after the army's assault. Signs of bullets are still preserved in the large tile at the top of the building representing King Ferdinand III. king Ferdinand III.

Barricade in this same place on 31 July 1873, bloodily occupied by the troops of General Pavía after the defeat of the cantonalists of Seville.